- 15 Minutes
- 20 Minutes
These cheerful treats are like little cups of sunshine! Level up white cake mix by adding egg whites and sour cream — we just can’t get enough of the ultra-tender texture that these ingredients lend! Scratch-made lemon buttercream frosting is the perfect ﬁnishing touch. Try these for a birthday celebration, baby shower or school bake sale!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muﬃn pan with cupcake liners.
- Mix together the cake mix, egg whites, sour cream, lemon juice, vegetable oil, vanilla and lemon zest in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until combined.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool before frosting.
- Beat the butter in a larger mixer bowl on medium speed for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat on medium-low speed until incorporated. Add the vanilla, lemon zest and enough of the lemon juice until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Beat the buttercream on medium-high speed for 4-5 minutes. Frost the cooled cupcakes.