- 15 minutes
- 30 minutes (plus cooling time)
“Poke cakes” are named after the technique used to make them! It’s simple: a freshly baked cake is poked all over to create small holes which absorb a glaze, filling or liquid poured over top. In this case, a vibrant lemon cake is drizzled with lemon pudding and then frosted with whipped topping. The poke cake is then refrigerated for a few hours so the flavors can meld and the pudding can integrate into the cake for a delicious, moist texture!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Beat the cake mix, water, butter, eggs and lemon zest together in a large bowl using a hand mixer until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, whisk the milk and instant pudding together in a large bowl until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.
- Poke the cake with the end of a wooden spoon at 1-inch intervals. Spread the pudding evenly over the cake, gently pushing it into the holes. Spread the whipped topping in an even layer over the cake.
- Cover with the plastic wrap and refrigerate until fully set, about 4 hours. Slice and serve.
Recipe Tip: Substitute your favorite jam or jelly for lemon instant pudding!